Picking the Perfect Pumpkin
by Holly Peterson on 10/21/2015
All About Pumpkins
Carving the Perfect Pumpkin
Here's a few guidelines for carving your perfect pumpkin:
- Start with the right tools - carving knife, scoop (to pull the guts out), X-Acto knife for creating the face
- Cut the hole on the bottom for a cleaner look and more stable jack-o-lantern
- Place fragrant herbs or spices inside your pumpkin to have your jack-o-lantern playing as a light and air freshener
How to Make Your Pumpkin Out Last the Rest
- Soak carved pumpkins in cold water with a splash of bleach for several hours - towel dry inside and out to prevent mold & deter insects while keeping the pumpkin fresh
- Rub a thin layer of petroleum jelly over the cut edges to seal in freshness
- Bring your pumpkins into the garage overnight if there's a frost warning so they do not freeze
We hope you take the time to search out for the perfect pumpkin and decorate it in any way you want - carving, paint or even just a few stickers!
Don't forget to share your pumpkin carving or painting photos on our Facebook page to win a Goebbert's gift card! Use #GoebbertsPumpkin when you post your photos to be entered to win.
<< Return to previous page